I discussed Nerds and Free Spirits in an earlier post, and how important it is for husbands and wives to better understand each other when talking about money. Both Nerds and Free Spirits have ground rules to follow at the budget committee meeting that are taught in our Financial Peace University classes. Since I am “apparently” a Free Spirit and my wife Amy is the Nerd, we’ve found these rules to be very helpful in our joint budgeting efforts.
Rules for the Nerd
- Bring the budget, have your say, and then shut up!
- It is not a weekend summit. You have 17 minutes.
- Insist that the Free Spirit change something on the budget!
Rules for the Free Spirit
- You must come to the meeting!
- You must give thoughtful input.
- Never again use the phrase, “Whatever you want to do, honey.”
Amy and I have this meeting at least once a month. If either of us are going to deviate from the budget, we must call an emergency budget committee meeting.
Question: How do you and your significant other handle the budget approval process? Leave a comment below.