“I would travel.” “I would buy another car.” “I would go back to school.” “I would get a second house.” “I would take my kids to Disney World.” “I would give money to my church and my family.” …and one of my personal favorites “I would buy some land and become a bee-keeper.”
These are just some of the statements I have heard in my coaching sessions and Financial Peace University classes over the years when I’ve asked the question… What would you do if time and money were not an issue?
What does that look like? Time and money not being an issue? Imagine no debt at all. No car payment. No mortgage payment. The only expenses you have are your living expenses; food, utilities, etc. You have an emergency fund of 3-6 months funded… and your retirement investments are now paying you more than you were making at your job. This is what Dave Ramsey calls “the pinnacle point.” At that point you could argue that time and money are no longer an issue.
This is the goal that my wife and I are working toward using the Seven Baby Steps outlined in Financial Peace University. We are not there yet, but there is light at the end of the tunnel and everything we do is geared toward reaching this goal. Reaching this point will allow for so much freedom it is really quite hard to fathom. Here are some of my “I would’s…”
I would live on half my income. – Rick Warren does what he calls reverse tithing. Rather than tithing 10% of his income and living on the remaining 90%, he gives 90% and lives on the remaining 10%. That is amazing to me. Not sure I can do that and still eat, but I can sure shoot for 50%. It is my aim to live on half and give the other half away to my children, grandchildren, and worthy organizations.
I would take my wife to Spain. – This would be for the honeymoon she deserved. Need I say more?
I would buy a 1972 Oldsmobile Cutlass convertible. – They are just one of my favorite cars all time.
I would buy an RV and travel the United States with my wife and dogs. – More than likely choosing my route based on the MLB and NASCAR schedule. See picture above of my wife’s vision of the perfect place to park the RV.
Now it is time for me to get about the business of changing these “I would’s” to “I did.”
QUESTION: If time and money were not an issue, what would you do? Leave a comment below.